28 November 2012

Things that make me go hmmm?

Me this morning. Me every morning. Source: who knows.

Hi faithful readers of five. I'm here at work (not technically working), watching the snowmageddon arrive in my fair city. I feel like making random comments/questions/musings/ramblings about the world-at-large (mostly political). The things that make me go hmmmm.....
  • I have heard the Progressive Conservatives of Alberta describe the Wild Rose Party of Alberta as extremists. If that is the case, then why did you let that element rest in your party for 30+ without censure, constraint or expulsion? Don't you have yourselves to blame for the party that emerged? Hmmmmm....
  • I have heard the Wild Rose Party of Alberta describe the Progressive Conservatives as corrupt. Really? You sure enjoyed the hand that fed you for 30+ years without complaint. I guess as long as you don't get to share in the pork, then it's an issue. Hmmmm....
  • Interesting debates about meals costs for politicians and health care executives. On some instances, sure the complaints are legitimate. But do we honestly think that you can have a meal for two under $50.00 in Edmonton anymore? Do people think that they should go for meals to McDonald's? Hmmm.....
  • If I hear one more squawk about how awful the National Energy Policy was for Alberta in the 80's, immabout to lose my sh*t. First off, can we all deliberately ignore what was going on in the rest of the world that probably had a larger effect on the price of oil and gas? Also, it's been 30+ years. Policies have come and gone. Alberta is doing more than fine now. In fact, are we not now pushing for a national energy policy by our own conservative/federal conservative government? You can call it under any name you want now, but it is essentially the same type of policy. Hmmm......
  • Let's stop pretending that any vote for Justin Trudeau as a leader of the Liberal Party of Canada is because of any policy ideas he is putting forth, and more to do with the fact that he is a Trudeau, and a handsome one at that. Hmmmm....
  • On that note, how long will it take before anyone in the Liberal Party of Canada realize that Marc Garneau is the best possible leader of the current hopefuls? Will it be too late? Hmmmm....
  • Why do we complain about how early Christmas music is released onto the public? I remember Christmas music blaring in the malls in November when I was a kid. So why are we all acting like this is some sort of new phenomenon? Hmmmm....
  • Why do we treat Advent like Lent? It is not the same. One is a joyful period of anticipation. The other is a solemn period of anticipation. While we are always to be mindful and reflective of our interior selves, we don't need to treat Advent like a funeral. Hmmmm....
  • How much privacy and platform changes will we truly accept from Facebook before enough truly becomes enough? Hmmmm.....
  • Can we all agree that TWITTER = Total Waste (of) Intellect, Time, Talent, Energy and Resources? So let's stop pretending that we are intellects in 140 characters. Hmmmm.....
  • For that matter, why do people act like self-proclaimed experts on all subjects on social media? Hey, I can pull a quote from a Google search too. A fact doesn't always trump a viewpoint based on personal experiences. Let's stop pretending our "facts" don't stem from a personal bias. I can hunt down any "fact" to support my bias too. Hmmmmm.....
  • Can we all stop pretending that Gordon Lightfoot's performance at the CFL half-time show was any good? I get it. He is a legend. But it was not good. He needs to retire his guitar. Hmmmm....
  • Speaking of not good, did the organizers of the CFL half-time show really think that those who like Justin Bieber would become fans of the CFL? Are you kidding me? Do you know the audience this boy attracts? More importantly, do you know your audience?  Hmmm....
  • On that note, whoever decided that Gordon Lightfoot and Justin Bieber would be good CFL half-time entertainment should have tossed that plan in the garbage and booked Rush and Trooper. Surely they aren't busy these days? Hmmmmm....
  • Now that Nascar, Baseball and CFL are over, sports TV suckssssssss! Hmmmmmmm......
  • Is there anything good on TV anymore that doesn't involve "reality" TV and singing/dancing/food competitions? Hmmmm.......
  • Why can't I get frozen borscht from the grocery aisle? Hmmmm....
  • If men celebrate Movember for prostate cancer research, can I propose that women celebrate Janu-hairy for ovarian cancer research? I will gladly not shave my legs for a month. Hmmm......
  • I will say this once: please stop playing Last Christmas by Wham EVERY FREAKING HOUR. It is stupid. Replace Christmas with any word and the song applies. "Last Ramadan, I gave you my heart...", "Last election day, I gave you my heart..." Adding the word Christmas randomly does not a Christmas song make. Hmmmm....
  • For that matter, I'm tired of radio stations switching to an all Christmas music format. Can't you just slip some Christmas songs in between Careless Whisper and Boys of Summer? Hmmm....
There you go. I sound kind of angry. I am a bit owly today. I blame waking up. I had a nice warm blanket, was in dream land, and then woke up to an alarm clock with Christmas music. Bastard world!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm not sure if I should laugh or not...but there were quite a few smirks in there on my end. ;) Sorry your day hasn't been the best--some great thoughts came out of it, though!

Jo said...

Hilarious! Ragin' Dani is an Impassioned Dani -- and it makes for a great read.

This kind of reminds me of that episode of "Family Guy" where Peter had a spot on the evening news where he would start off his rant with, "You know what grinds my gears....?"

This would qualify as an epic rant of Peter Griffin-proportions..... minus all the inappropriate remarks that are associated with "Family Guy", lol.

PS - Totally. Hate. Last Christmas.

Ren said...

I choose to forget there even was a half-time show during the 100th grey Cup. Come on TO! (and other organizers) - we were celebrating 100 years of awesome Canadian football - and we get grizzly old men and a dancing teen (and a coupe other acts that were equally "meh", and I usually like Mariana's Trench). They also needed new sound engineers. I also cried a tear for Burton, why the heck did he feel he needed to embellish our national anthem? I love Mr Cummings, I was raised on the Guess Who, but you cannot change O' Canada.

Sigh.

I think we need to realize that the best part of the Grey Cup is the game itself. It is NOT the Superbowl.

Damn you, now I am all in a rage.

Aurorarose said...

I absolutely loved all of your rants...all had very good meanings...and definately made me go hhhmmmm....
Hope you have a much better...and more productive day tomorrow. May you have a cozy blanket to snuggle into, a hot tea in one hand, and an amazing book (or iPad) in the other!
Hugs my friend <3
Nik