23 October 2010

I'm fat...can I blame my family?


"It is estimated that this generation of children will be the first generation to fail to live longer than their parents generation. Their lifestyle, eating habits and obesity puts them at greater risk
for health problems.": Medical Journal of something something something (basically I stole this off of the web but I don't know the original source...lol).

I am not at all surprised about this. For weeks, I have been slowly...but surely...loosing weight. I have also been spending a great deal of time at my bean pole skinny boyfriends place. My supportive, bad cop, healthy eating boyfriends place.

This last week, I have spent most of my time at home due to my boyfriend's wonky work schedule. And according to the scale, I am up 2-4 pounds. There is no healthy food in the house, and I've had takeaway food three days in a row.

Coincidence? Can I now officially blame my obesity on my family? Can I blame their bad influence and food choices on my weight?

Wouldn't that be nice. But no. I can lament their lack of support. But I am a big girl. I buy my own food. I make the choices of what I eat and don't eat. I know what is right and wrong...even if they don't. A wise man once said "forgive them for they know not what they do". That Jesus sure is a smart man.

So at the end of the day, to avoid being a statistic, I must make the choice to eat better and exercise more. Do I wish for more support and a better environment at home? Sure. And sadly, I think this generation of kids will younger because they are not being raised in an environment where they are made aware of other options, like we were. But still...it's nice to have an excuse. LOL.


2 comments:

Jo said...

I have long maintained that, unless you're the one in control of what you eat and when, it's nearly impossible to lose weight.

I totally sympathize with your situation..... it's hard to turn down fast food when it's brought into the home by someone else, even if your intentions were to eat healthy.

I have this problem, too, which is why I've always yearned for a personal chef and a personal trainer.

But you're right, we are all adults and should be able to make responsible decisions on our own.

You know, in theory.

Girl in Carolina said...

It's so hard to lose weight! I too am influenced by what those around me eat. If I'm with my mom, I eat so healthy it's ridiculous. Because SHE eats healthy. If I'm with my girlfriends who love margaritas and mexican food, well then, guess what I'm eating? Sighhhhhhh.

Thank you for the sweet comment about my blog! xoxo And yes, we are soooo bonded by nascar, LOL!!!!