20 May 2010

The most romantic song I have ever heard.




O Sole Mio (which in English translates something to the effect of my sun).

I heard this at a funeral on Monday of my Italian neighbour. The grandson had made a video and this was one of the songs that streamed. It was a loving tribute of one man and his 78 years of life. It also had pictures of his 53 years of marriage, 3 kids, 8 grand kids. And although the video made me cry buckets, this song was imprinted in my brain. What struck me was just how loving he was, and how much he loved his wife.

That kind of relationship and love I can only dream. This song for me captures that timeless love the weaves through generations. If you think about it, the sun will always rise and fall, and will forever burn. That is symbolic of a relationship of true burning love. Sure you have your ups and down, but that love will forever endure.

I hope to one day dance to this song at my wedding.

2 comments:

kkollwitz said...

O Sole is indeed a great song, and easy to learn, by the way. I learned it when I was studying Italian, along with some other Neapolitan songs, which comprise a kind of song family. You may be interested in a record Pavarotti made of O Sole and a dozen or so other "Neapolitan Favorites," including 'Funiculi, Funicola' which you probably have heard even if you didn't know what it was. It's about a boy persuading a girl to take the funicular railway up to the top of Vesuvius to view the crater.

Neapolitan songs come from everyday life. They may be happy, sad, or romantic; but they are always tuneful and charming.

Jo said...

Another beautiful post, Dan. And they would be touched to know that you wrote about them.